Australian Big Brother has several controversies during its 7 year history:
- May 2007: Australian Big Brother housemate not told about father’s recent death to maintain isolation of housemates from outside world
- Australian Communications and Media Authority reviewed reality TV programs after Big Brother female contestant was “turkey slapped.”
- Producers were accused of manipulating a housemate who had suffered a late-term miscarriage by making housemates look after a doll. (Source: Big Brother housemate not told of her father’s death, Larissa Dubecki, 25 May 2007, The Age)
- Australia BB 2006 has a “turkey slapping” incident
- Australian PM John Howard said show should be cancelled after the “turkey slapping” incident.
- Australia BB Uncut 2005: Female housemates are shown using a hose to masturbate.
- Australia BB 2004: Housemate Merlin Luck tapes his mouth upon eviction to protest treatment of refugees. (Source: NEWS Scandals power BB to top Michelle Read, 22 January 2007, MX (Australia))
- Australian PM John Howard: “Big Brother is an atrocious program.” (Source: Howard blast for Brother, 28 April 2007, Herald-Sun)